January 26 is a time to reflect upon and celebrate our national spirit. The Australia Day Address serves to focus our attention on what that means to all of us. Since 1997 the address has allowed distinguished members of the community to express their unique perspective on our nation’s identity and the diversity of our society.
Each year the speaker is encouraged to share their experiences and reflect upon our history and our future, securing the address as one of the most important Australia Day initiatives.
Eminent speakers from past years include social researcher and bestselling author Hugh Mackay AO, renowned mathematics teacher and internet sensation Eddie Woo, and quantum physicist Professor Michelle Y. Simmons.
The Australia Day Address speaker will be announced soon.
Watch or read Australia Day Addresses by speakers from past years:
- Hugh Mackay AO — 2019
- Eddie Woo — 2018
- Professor Michelle Simmons — 2017
- Deng Thiak Adut — 2016
- Ben Roberts-Smith VC MG — 2015
- Ita Buttrose AO OBE — 2014
- Kurt Fearnley OAM — 2013
- Associate Professor Charlie Teo AM — 2012
- Sir Michael Parkinson CBE — 2011
- General Peter Cosgrove, AC MC (Retd) — 2010
- Her Excellency Professor Marie Bashir AC CVO — 2009
- The Hon. James Jacob Spigelman AC — 2008
- Kim Williams — 2007
- David Bussau — 2006
- Richard Pratt AC — 2005
- Robyn Nevin — 2004
- Rick Farley — 2003
- Dr Tim Flannery — 2002
- Dr Bryan Gaensler — 2001
- Dr Lowitja O'Donoghue — 2000
- Phoebe Fraser — 1999
- Peter Garrett — 1998
- Thomas Keneally — 1997