Australia Day Address
January 26 is a time to celebrate and reflect on our national spirit, and the Australia Day Address serves to focus our attention on what that means to all of us. Since 1997 the Address has drawn on distinguished members from within the community to express their unique perspective on our nation’s identity and the diversity of our society.
Each year the speaker is encouraged to share their experiences and reflect upon our history and our future, securing the Address as one of the most important Australia Day initiatives.
Eminent speakers from past years include Ben Roberts-Smith VC MG, Her Excellency Professor Marie Bashir AC CVO, Sir Michael Parkinson CBE, Ita Buttrose AO OBE, Associate Professor Charlie Teo AM and Kurt Fearnely OAM.
Internationally renowned high school mathematics teacher and internet sensation Eddie Woo will deliver this year’s Australia Day Address.
Watch or read Australia Day Addresses by speakers from past years:
- Professor Michelle Simmons — 2017
- Deng Thiak Adut — 2016
- Ben Roberts-Smith VC MG — 2015
- Ita Buttrose AO OBE — 2014
- Kurt Fearnely OAM — 2013
- Associate Professor Charlie Teo AM — 2012
- Sir Michael Parkinson CBE — 2011
- General Peter Cosgrove, AC MC (Retd) — 2010
- Her Excellency Professor Marie Bashir AC CVO — 2009
- The Hon. James Jacob Spigelman AC — 2008
- Kim Williams — 2007
- David Bussau — 2006
- Richard Pratt AC — 2005
- Robyn Nevin — 2004
- Rick Farley — 2003
- Dr Tim Flannery — 2002
- Dr Bryan Gaensler — 2001
- Dr Lowitja O'Donoghue — 2000
- Phoebe Fraser — 1999
- Peter Garrett — 1998
- Thomas Keneally — 1997