Roads around Circular Quay and The Rocks will be closed in the morning and evening to support Australia Day events and allow everyone to move around safely while practising physical distancing.
Special event clearway parking restrictions will also be in effect on various roads in the Sydney CBD, drivers are encouraged to check signs carefully to avoid being towed.
Key road closures
- 4:00 AM to midnight: Roads in Circular Quay and The Rocks including sections of Alfred St, Circular Quay West, Essex St and George St will close.
- 7:00 AM to midnight: Hickson Rd from George St to Pottinger St in The Rocks will close.
- 7:00 AM to 10:00 AM: Hickson Rd from Napoleon St to Towns Place and Towns Place from Dalgety Rd to Hickson Rd will close for the GIO Oz Day 10K wheelchair race.
- 7:00 AM to 11:00 AM: Hickson Rd from Towns Place to Pottinger St will close for the GIO Oz Day 10K wheelchair race.
- 7:30 PM to 10:30 PM: The Cahill Expressway lanes 7 and 8 southbound and lane 4 on the Harbour Bridge will close as well as both directions of the Cahill Expressway Circular Quay Overpass. Roads in Circular Quay north of Bridge St will also close including sections of Albert St, Alfred St, Essex St, George St, Loftus St, Phillip St and Young St.
- 8:00 PM to 9:30 PM: The speed limit on the Harbour Bridge will be reduced to 40km/h..
- 5:00 PM to 9:30 PM: The Cahill Expressway overpass walk (The Cahill Walk) will be closed to pedestrians with no access from The Royal Botanic Garden, Macquarie Street, East Circular Quay, or The Rocks. The Sydney Harbour Bridge Walkway and Cycleway will remain open.
Special event clearways will be in effect on various roads in Circular Quay and The Rocks from 3:00 AM until midnight.
Additional clearways will be in place throughout the city on various roads between Circular Quay and Martin Place from 5:00 PM until 10:30 PM.
Clearways are strict no-parking zones, and apply even to local residents and businesses with parking permits and RMS Mobility Scheme permit holders.
Check signs carefully on the day and the night before, as vehicles left in clearways will be towed and a fee applies.
If your vehicle is towed call 132 701 to find its new location.