We want everyone to experience the magic of Australia Day. Events with accessibility and inclusion considerations are identified on this website with a wheelchair icon (the International Symbol of Access).
Many events around Sydney on Australia Day have accessibility and inclusion services for people with disability and limited mobility. This provides an opportunity for as many people as possible to enjoy the day.
Designated accessible viewing areas
Note: The below accessible viewing areas are now booked out. For more information, or to join the waitlist, please contact us (see 'General enquiries' below).
People with disability or limited mobility are eligible to register with their family and friends for space at the following accessible viewing areas:
- WugulOra, Barangaroo (7.45–8.30am) BOOKED OUT
- Overseas Passenger Terminal (6.30–10.00pm) BOOKED OUT
- Sydney Opera House, Western Boardwalk (6.30–10.00pm) BOOKED OUT
- Sydney Opera House Concert (6.30–10.00pm) BOOKED OUT
A Changing Places amenity is available at the Sydney Opera House. The amenity includes an adult-sized adjustable change table, ceiling hoists and space for up to two assistants.
Accessible drop-off and pick-up zones
If you are travelling to and from the CBD via car, accessible drop-off and pick-up zones are available. However, you are NOT able to park at these zones.
The following are designated accessible drop-off and pick-up zones for guests with limited mobility on Australia Day:
- North Sydney: Fitzroy Street, western end, southern side – first two parking bays (all day)
- The Rocks: Harrington Street, western side, out the front of Clocktower Square (all day)
- City: Young Street, Farrer Place, western side, near the intersection of Bridge Street (all day)
- Circular Quay: 1 Macquarie Street, western side, outside Aria Restaurant (before 8.30pm and after 10.30pm).
Download a map of accessible routes and drop-off/pick-up points, or contact us for more information (see 'General enquiries' below).
For information on wheelchair-accessible taxis, see the Transport for NSW website.
Zero200 is a centralised booking service for wheelchair-accessible taxis in Sydney (phone +61 2 8332 0200).
For information on accessible transport, facilities and accommodation:
- visit the Transport NSW website
- see the City of Sydney website
- visit the Easy Access Australia website for information on accessible accommodation
- see the Sydney For All website for tourist accessibility information
- find accessible toilets on the National Public Toilet map
- download apps from the App Store or Google Play (filter by ‘accessibility’).
Follow the links below for access maps of Australia Day in Sydney event areas:
For any general inquiries relating to Australia Day 2020 accessibility, please contact Karen Wade (Event Support Officer at the NSW Department of Premier and Cabinet) on 02 9228 4613 or at [email protected]