Finalists announced for 2017 NSW Australian of the Year Awards
An astrophysicist, an engineer changing life for the disabled, a ‘hayrunner’, Aboriginal community leaders, a sustainable farming advocate, an Ironwoman and a palliative care advocate are among the finalists in the 2017 NSW Australian of the Year Awards.
The NSW Award finalists announced today are in the running to be named NSW Australian of the Year, NSW Senior Australian of the Year, NSW Young Australian of the Year and NSW Local Hero.
The 2017 NSW Award finalists are below.
2017 NSW AUSTRALIAN OF THE YEAR
- Deng Adut – Refugee and lawyer (Redfern)
- Stan Grant – Reconciliation champion (Annandale)
- Dr Jordan Nguyen – Biomedical engineer (Castle Hill)
- Turia Pitt – Ironwoman (Narrawallee)
2017 NSW SENIOR AUSTRALIAN OF THE YEAR
- Dr Jeanette Dixon AM – Science educator (Dudley)
- Dr John Knight AM – Doctor and altruist (North Ryde)
- Kenneth Moroney AO APM – Former police commissioner and volunteer (Woodbine)
- Deanna Schreiber – Aboriginal elder (Cronulla)
2017 NSW YOUNG AUSTRALIAN OF THE YEAR
- Arthur Alla – Reconciliation champion (Darlinghurst)
- Shyeh Tjing Cleo Loi – Astrophysicist (Dundas Valley)
- Anika Molesworth – Agricultural innovator (Yoogali)
- Nat Ware – Humanitarian and social entrepreneur (Waitara)
2017 NSW LOCAL HERO
- Meredith Dennis – Palliative care innovator (Dulguigan)
- Brendan Farrell – Farming aid co-ordinator (Stanbridge)
- Amna Karra-Hassan – Women’s football pioneer (Auburn)
- Josephine Peter – Volunteer (Broken Hill)
NSW AWARD WINNERS ANNOUNCEMENT
The NSW Australian of the Year, Senior Australian of the Year, Young Australian of the Year and Local Hero Award recipients will be announced on Monday 7 November 2016 at the Museum of Contemporary Art in Sydney.
NATIONAL AWARD WINNERS ANNOUNCEMENT
The NSW Award recipients will then join recipients from all other States and Territories as finalists for the national awards, which will be held in Canberra on 25 January 2017.