The Beach at the Cutaway, Barangaroo Reserve
Hit The Beach and take a dip in an ocean without sharks.
This Australia Day, for a cool change, hit The Beach – a joyous monochromatic installation of 1.1 million recyclable polyethylene balls that make an ocean without sharks, gently lapping against a 60-metre wide shoreline free of sand. Come and take a dip.
A quintessential Australian experience is reimagined by Snarkitecture, a New York-based art and architecture collaborative practice.
Take a dip or bliss out in a beach chair and literally submerge yourself in art. Whether you’re young or just young-at-heart, the best alternative beach ever created in Australia is guaranteed to put a smile on your dial.
Before visiting The Beach, be sure to read through all the rules and FAQs.
DOS AND DON'TS
DO NOT BYO. BYO alcohol and glass are not permitted in Darling Harbour, The Rocks, Sydney Opera House and Circular Quay, including the Overseas Passenger Terminal and Dawes Point.
- 7:30am: Fire arrives at Marrinawi Cove, transported from Me-mel (Goat Island). A procession will escort the fire from Marrinawi Cove to Walumil lawns.
- 7:45am: Smoking Ceremony on Walumil Lawns.
- 8:00am to 8:30am: WugulOra Ceremony including choral performance by 250 voices of the Budjari Gunyalungalung Baraya-la, which translates as ‘Let’s Sing Good Dreaming’ taught and is part of the Sydney Festival’s Bayala program.
- 9:00am to 10:00am: Catch the finest wheelchair athletes from across the globeas they pass Barangaroo Reserve in the GIO OZ Day 10k wheelchair race.
- 9:00am to 5:00pm: Take a peek at the future Metro with Sydney Metro’s life-size train carriage, complete with a 3D-vitual reality experience.
- 11:30am: See the finish of the Ferrython as they come under the Sydney Harbour Bridge
- 10:00am to 4:00pm: Get hands-on at the Edible Kids' Gardens nature play stations along the foreshore for a unique sensory experience for the whole family.
- 1:30pm: See the finish of the Tall Ships race as they come under the Sydney Harbour Bridge
- 3:15 to 3:35pm: Be entertained by multi-award winning Jazz virtuoso James Morrison and his band on the Cruising Concert as it rounds the headland and moors in Nawi Cove.
- 11:00am to 4:00pm: Enjoy roving performances and live acoustic music at Duke’s Pier and Walumil Lawns.
FACILITIES FOR PEOPLE WITH DISABILITY
Toilets for people with disability and limited mobility are available at this event.
For more information, please contact the Event Access and Inclusion Manager.