Salute to Australia
Salute to Australia is finished
- 26 January 2018
- 11:30am – 12:15pm
A 21-gun military salute involving the Australian Army, Royal Australian Navy and Royal Australian Air Force provides the ceremonial highpoint of the Sydney Harbour program and is now a much-loved Australia Day tradition.
The Salute to Australia will be received by the Governor of New South Wales, His Excellency General The Honourable David Hurley AC DSC (Ret’d), on HMAS Canberra, located between the Overseas Passenger Terminal and Sydney Opera House.
School choirs around the Harbour foreshore will sing the national anthem, simultaneously broadcast from the HMAS Canberra, and a performance in Yolngu language of the Aboriginal song Bapa by renowned late artist Dr G Yunupingu. Join one of the many vantage points to witness this marvellous tribute to our country.
- From 10:45am until 12:15pm – HMAS Canberra positioned in Sydney Cove between the icons of the Sydney Harbour Bridge and Sydney Opera House.
- 11:30am – Prelude to Salute from the big sound system.
- 11:50am to 2pm – In the Sky – Red Berets, Qantas and Hornets.
- 11:57am – 21 Gun Salute at Bradfield Park.
- 12 noon – Join over 500 school children in the singing of the national anthem at Hickson Road Reserve, Overseas Passenger Terminal, Sydney Opera House, Bradfield Park or from your vantage point.
- 12:05pm to 12:20pm – Tug & Yacht Ballet.
- 12:30 to 2pm – School choirs perform at Hicksons Road Reserve.
Key vantage points
Position yourself anywhere in Sydney Cove where you can see the water, including:
- Bradfield Park
- Hickson Road Reserve
- Circular Quay
- Overseas Passenger Terminal
- Sydney Opera House
Dos and don'ts
DO NOT BYO. BYO alcohol and glass are not permitted in Bradfield Park in North Sydney, Darling Harbour, The Rocks, Sydney Opera House and Circular Quay, including the Overseas Passenger Terminal and Dawes Point.
If travelling by train, please allow some extra travel time.
Visit transportnsw.info for details on train, bus, light rail and ferry services.
Road closures and special event clearways will be in place for Australia Day.
For real-time information about road closures and traffic conditions: